BARRINGTON'S BRIDGE, a village
From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
BARRINGTON'S BRIDGE, a village, in the parish of CLONKEEN, barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (E.) from Limerick: the population is returned with the parish. This place is situated on the road from Limerick to Abington, and on the river Mulkern, over which is an elegant bridge of one arch of cast iron, from which the village derives its name. The surrounding country is fertile, and the scenery agreeably diversified and embellished with modern and elegant cottages and substantial farm-houses, mostly with gardens and orchards attached to them. Though small, it has a pleasing and cheerful aspect; there is a neat and commodious hotel; a penny post has been established from Limerick, and it is a chief station of the constabulary police. A neat school-house has been built for a school in connection with the National Board, with separate apartments for the master and mistress. At a short distance from the village is the ancient parish church, in the Norman style, the western entrance of which presents some very beautiful details.—See CLONKEEN.