BARNANE, or BARNANELY, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BARNANE, or BARNANELY, a parish, in the barony of IKERRIN, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Templemore; containing 775 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Burris-o-leigh to Dunkerrin, and comprises 2015 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1842 per annum: about 100 acres are common, 46 woodland, and the remainder is principally arable. It includes the "Devil's Bit Mountain," so called from its form, which appears as if a bit had been taken out of it. At the foot of this mountain lies the demesne of Barnane, the seat, of R. Garden, Esq., which is tastefully laid out and well planted; and within it are the ruins of the old parish church. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and is part of the union of Fithmone: the tithes amount to £105. There is a pay school of 25 boys and 20 girls in the parish.

« Barnahely | Index | Baronstown »


Library Ireland Facebook