BANGOR, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BANGOR, a village, in the parish of KILCOMMON, barony of ERRIS, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 10 miles (E. S. E.) from Belmullet: the population is returned with the parish. It is situated on the road from Castlebar to Belmullet, and contains two comfortable inns. Fairs are held on the 20th of Jan., Feb., March, and April, May 10th, June 11th, July 20th, Aug. 11th, Sept. 8th, Oct. 16th, Nov. 16th, and Dec. 11th; and here is a station of the constabulary police. The parochial R. C. chapel of East Kilcommon is situated in the village. In the immediate vicinity is the shooting-lodge of W. Bingham, Esq.: the surrounding country is mountainous, and grouse is abundant during the season. Near the village is the lake of Carramore, celebrated for its salmon and trout: it communicates with the bay of Tulloghane by the rivers Munning and Owenmore.—See KILCOMMON.

« Bangor, Down | Index | Bannow »