BANADA, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BANADA, a village, in the parish of KILMACTIGUE barony of LENEY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Tubbercurry: the population is returned with the parish. It comprises about 30 cabins, and is beautifully situated on the banks of the river Moy, which winds through it in a broad deep stream, and on the road from Tubbercurry to Foxford. A friary of Eremites, following the rule of St. Augustine, was founded here in 1423, through the industry of a brother of the order, and was dedicated to Corpus Christi. The modern seat, called the Abbey, is the residence of D. Jones, Esq., and from a plantation rises the lofty steeple of the ancient monastery, built of hewn stone and still entire. Fairs are held on Jan. 17th, May 19th, and Aug. 7th; and here is a station of the constabulary police.—See KILMACTIGUE.

« Baltray | Index | Banagher, Offaly »