BALLYVALLOO, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYVALLOO, a parish, in the barony of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 ½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Wexford; containing 809 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the coast of St. George's channel, and on the old road from Wexford to Dublin; and comprises 1725 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is an impropriate curacy endowed with the vicarial tithes, in the diocese of Ferns, and forms part of the union of Ardcolme; the rectorial tithes belong to the almshouse at Enniscorthy. The entire tithes amount to £115. 8. 3 ½., of which £59.13. 3 ½. is the portion belonging to the almshouse, and £55. 15. is payable to the incumbent; the glebe comprises 20 acres. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the Blackwater union or district. It is not recognised as a parish in civil matters, but is considered as forming part of the parish of Killely.

« Ballyvalden | Index | Ballyvary »


Library Ireland Facebook