BALLYSHEEHAN, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYSHEEHAN, a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (N.) from Cashel; containing 3034 inhabitants. It is situated on the mail coach road from Dublin, by way of Cashel, to Cork, and comprises 8678 statute acres, of which 3657 are applotted under the tithe act and valued at £7118 per annum. There are about 150 acres of bog, producing a valuable supply of fuel, and 50 acres of woodland; the remainder is arable and pasture. New Park, the handsome seat of Matthew Pennefather, Esq., is pleasantly situated in a well-planted demesne of 960 statute acres; and Dually is the seat of J. Scully, Esq. Fairs are held on May 6th, Aug. 15th, and Dec. 5th; and a constabulary police force is stationed here. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop; the rectory is impropriate in S. Cooper, Esq. The tithes amount to £415. 7. 8 ¼., of which £265. 7. 8 ¼. is payable to the impropriator, and £150 to the vicar. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe; the members of the Established Church attend divine service at Cashel and Ardmoyle. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Boherlahan; the chapel is a neat modern building. There are three pay schools, in which are about 140 boys and 90 girls. Ballytarsney Castle, a lofty square tower, is said to have been built by a person named Hacket, who, according to tradition, was hanged by one of Cromwell's generals, who had gained possession of it by treachery.

« Ballyshannon | Index | Ballyshonboy »