From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
BALLYSEEDY, a parish, in the barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 ½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Tralee; containing 1164 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Mang or Maine, and on the mail coach road from Tralee to Killarney; it comprises 3509 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2640 per annum, and there are 92 acres exempt from tithe. The land is mostly under tillage; the principal crop is oats. Towards the west the parish includes a portion of the Slieve-mish mountains; the land there is chiefly coarse mountain pasture, and there is a considerable portion of light bog; about 500 acres of bog and mountain have been planted within the last two or three years. Limestone abounds and is extensively used for manure. Ballyseedy House, the handsome residence of Sir E. Denny, Bart., is situated in an extensive and richly wooded demesne; and at Ballyseedy is the residence of the Rev. Mr. Nash, pleasantly situated on an eminence commanding a fine view of the country towards the south and east. The river Mang or Maine has its rise in the neighbouring mountains, and empties itself into Castlemaine bay; it abounds with excellent trout. On the banks of a small river that flows through the parish and falls into Tralee bay is a large flour-mill.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and in the patronage of Arthur Blennerhasset, Esq., in whom the rectory is impropriate: the tithes amount to £120, and are payable in equal portions to the im-propriator and the vicar. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe, but divine service is performed in the school-house at Farmer's-Bridge. The ruins of the old church, to which a burial-ground is attached, are in the demesne of Ballyseedy. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Ballymac-Elligott. The Wesleyan Methodists assemble for divine worship in a private house. A neat school-house has been lately erected at the village of Farmer's-Bridge, under the auspices of the Rev. A. B. Rowan, of Belmont; it was built and is supported by subscription: there is also a school under the superintendence of the R. C. clergyman; in these schools about 100 children are educated.
From a sad, comfortless childhood Giles Truelove developed into a reclusive and uncommunicative man whose sole passion was books. For so long they were the only meaning to his existence. But when fate eventually intervened to have the outside world intrude upon his life, he began to discover emotions that he never knew he had.
A story for the genuine booklover, penned by an Irish bookseller under the pseudonym of Ralph St. John Featherstonehaugh.
FREE download 23rd - 27th May
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.