BALLYSCULLION, a grange

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYSCULLION, a grange, in the barony of TOOME, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (N. W.) from Randalstown; containing 3351 inhabitants. This place, which is an extra-parochial district, never having paid either church cess or tithe, is situated on the road from Portglenone to Antrim, and is bounded on the north-west by the river Bann; it comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 4279 ¼ statute acres. There is no provision for the cure of souls; the members of the Established Church attend divine service in the contiguous parish of Duneane, in the diocese of Connor. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Ballyscullion, in the diocese of Derry; the chapel is a small plain building; there is also a place of worship for Presbyterians.

« Ballyscadane | Index | Ballyscullion, Londonderry »


Library Ireland Facebook