BALLYSCADANE, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYSCADANE, a parish, in the barony of COSTLEA, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Hospital. It is situated on the road from Galbally to Hospital, and comprises 893 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is in general of good quality, and chiefly in pasture. Nearly in the centre of the parish is Ryves Castle, the residence of P. Ryan, Esq.; and at no great distance is Scarteen, the property also of Mr. Ryan, but at present unoccupied. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Emly, united from time immemorial to the entire rectory of Glanbane, together constituting the corps of the deanery of Emly, in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £40.12.6., and of the whole union to £88. 4. The lands of the deanery, called the mensal lands of Gurteen, comprise 179a. 2r. 15p., statute measure, let on lease at £92. 6. l ½. per annum, with an annual renewal fine of £27. 13. 10 ¼.: the entire income of the deanery, as returned by the Commissioners of Ecclesiastical Inquiry, amounts to £225. 16. 10. per annum. The church has long since fallen into decay: in the churchyard, which is within the demesne of Ryves Castle, is a handsome monumental obelisk to the family of Ryan. There is no glebe-house in either parish; the glebe comprises 4a. 2r. 36p., and there is also a glebe of 7 acres in the adjoining parish of Galbally. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Emly.

« Ballysax | Index | Ballyscullion, Antrim »