BALLYRONAN, or PORTBALLYRON, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYRONAN, or PORTBALLYRON, a village, in the district of Wood's-chapel, barony of LOUGHINSHOLIN, county of LONDONDERRY, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (S. E.) from Magherafelt, on the western shore of Lough Neagh. This village was founded by the late D. Gaussen, who, in 1788, built a forge here for manufacturing spades, &c., and soon afterwards erected stores, which led to the building of quays and the formation of a port, which has greatly benefited the surrounding country. A large distillery was erected in 1824, and a brewery in 1830, by Messrs. Gaussen and Sons. Vessels of about 50 tons' burden ply regularly between this port and Belfast and Newry, exporting wheat, fruit, spirits, ale, and freestone, and bringing back barley, timber, slate, iron, , wine, groceries, &c. This village is well situated for trade, as, besides being on Lough Neagh, several roads diverge from it, and the projected railroad from Coleraine to Armagh will pass near it. It is on the estate of the Salters' Company, of London, which is held by the Marquess of Londonderry and Sir Robert Bateson, Bart., under a lease which will expire about 1852, when the company intend to make extensive improvements. Here is a public school, principally supported by the lessees of the estate, Mrs. Gaussen, sen., and D. Gaussen, Esq., one of the proprietors of the village. Near it are the ruins of Salters-town castle and a cromlech.

« Ballyrobert | Index | Ballysadere »