BALLYOVEY, a parish
From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
BALLYOVEY, a parish, in the barony of CARRA, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 6 ¼ miles (N. by W.) from Ballinrobe; containing 4025 inhabitants. This parish, which is pleasantly situated on the borders of Loughs Mask and Carra, and on the high road from Castlebar to Ballinrobe, comprises 19,823 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The surface is mountainous, and there are extensive tracts of bog: the lands now in cultivation are principally under tillage. The scenery is boldly varied: in the bosom of the mountains is Tarmacady, the summer lodge of Dean Plunket; and Partree, the seat of J. Lynch, Esq., is beautifully situated on Lough Carra. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, partly appropriate to the prebend of Killabegs in the cathedral church of St. Mary, Tuam, and partly included in the union of Burriscarra: the tithes amount to £162, of which £23. 5. 2 ¾. is payable to the prebendary of Killabegs, and the remainder to the incumbent. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions it forms a separate benefice, called Partree; there are two chapels, one at Partree, a small thatched building, and the other in the mountains at Ballybannon, a spacious slated edifice. There are six pay schools, in which are about 340 children.