BALLYNURE, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYNURE, a parish, in the barony of LOWER BELFAST, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (N. W.) from Carrickfergus; containing, with part of the town of Ballyclare, 3549 inhabitants, of which number, 415 are in the village. This parish, which is situated on the Six-mile-water, and on the road from Carrickfergus to Antrim, comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 8540 ¾ statute acres. The soil is fertile, and the lands are generally in a good state of cultivation; the system of agriculture is improving; there is some waste land, and a considerable tract of bog. A kind of basaltic stone is quarried and used for building and for repairing the roads. There is ah extensive bleach-green; also a large paper-mill, in which the most improved machinery is used for the manufacture of the finer kinds of paper. Fairs for cattle, pigs, and pedlery are held on the 16th of May, Sept. 5th, and Oct. 25th; there are large horse fairs in May and Nov., and also on Christmas-day, at Reagh Hill; and fairs are also held at Ballyclare, which see. In the village is a constabulary police station; and a manorial court is held every third week by the seneschal, for the recovery of debts to the amount of £10.

The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Connor, united by charter of the 7th of James I. to the vicarages of Kilroot and Templecorran, together constituting the corps of the prebend of Kilroot in the cathedral of Connor: the tithes amount to £330. The church, a plain small edifice, built about, the year 1602, is situated near the western extremity of the parish. There is neither glebe nor glebe-house. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Larne and Carrickfergus. There is a place of worship in the village for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the second class. There are three schools, which afford instruction to about 240 children; and four pay schools, in which are about 90 boys and 70 girls. The late Mr. Dobbs, of Castle Dobbs, bequeathed £100 for winter clothing for the poor.

« Ballynoe | Index | Ballynure, Wicklow »