BALLYNEMARA, or BALLINAMARA, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYNEMARA, or BALLINAMARA, a parish, in the barony of CRANAGH, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ½ miles (S. S. E.) from Freshford, on the road from Kilkenny to Johnstown; containing 867 inhabitants. It comprises 3755 statute acres of tolerably good land, of which about two-thirds consist of pasture land, and one-third is under tillage. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Canice, Kilkenny, to whom the rectory is appropriate. the tithes amount to £240, of which £160 is payable to the appropriators, and £80 to the vicar. The church is a plain modern building. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Freshford. The parochial school is held in the vestry-roorn of the church; and there is a private pay school, in which are about 70 boys and 20 girls. The late Robert Lanigan, Esq., bequeathed £100 for the erection of two houses for two poor widows, who are to have a small annual allowance, and preparations are in progress for carrying his intentions into effect.

« Ballynefagh | Index | Ballynochen »