BALLYNAHAGLISH, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYNAHAGLISH, a parish, in the barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 5 ½ miles (W.) from Tralee; containing 2883 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the bay of Tralee, and comprises 2875 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the land is chiefly under tillage, producing excellent crops, and the system of agriculture has been greatly improved within the last few years; seaweed and sand are extensively used as manure, and good limestone, of a kind approaching to grey marble, is also obtained. The seats are Oyster Hall, that of Barry Collins, Esq., and Oyster Lodge, of — Nelligan, Esq. The village of Taulert, or Chapeltown, lies on the south-eastern shore of the creek or harbour of Barra, and is partly inhabited by fishermen. On account of the fine bathing strand in Tralee bay, and a chalybeate spring of great power on the border of the parish and adjoining Clogherbrien, it is much frequented during the summer by visiters from Tralee and other places, for whose accommodation some neat bathing-lodges have been erected. There is a coast-guard station at Kilfinura, on Tralee bay.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, with the entire rectory of Annagh and the rectory and vicarage of Clogherbrien episcopally united from a period prior to any known record, forming the union of Ballynahaglish, in the patronage of Sir Edward Denny, Bart.: the rectory is impropriate in the Denny family: the tithes amount to £230. 15. 4., and of the whole benefice to £733. 16. 10. The church, an ancient structure built in 1619, is situated on an eminence thence called Church-hill, a little to the east of Chapeltown; it was repaired by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1820, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £127 for its further repair. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of £100 from the same Board, in 1741; it adjoins the church, and commands fine views of the bays of Tralee and Brandon, and the Dingle mountains. The glebe comprises 34 statute acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Ardfert; the chapel, situated in the village of Chapeltown, is in a very dilapidated condition. There are three private schools, in which about 120 children are educated.—See KILFINURA.

« Ballynadrimna | Index | Ballynahaglish, Mayo »


Library Ireland Facebook