BALLYMURRY, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYMURRY, a village, in the parish of KILMEAN, barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Roscommon: the population is returned with the parish. This village is situated on the road from Roscommon to Athlone, and consists of a few neatly built houses and about 20 cabins. It has a neat and improving appearance, and is kept remarkably clean; the manufacture of pottery is carried on to a moderate extent. The parish R. C. chapel, a thatched building in good repair, and a place of worship for the Society of Friends, are situated in the village; here is also the parochial school, under the patronage of Lord Crofton.—See KILMEAN.

« Ballymoyer | Index | Ballynaclogh »