BALLYMOREEN, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYMOREEN, a parish, in the barony of ELIOGARTY, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Thurles, on the mail coach road from Dublin to Cork; containing 1237 inhabitants. It comprises 2870 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; there are about 500 acres of hog, and of the remainder of the land, the greater portion is under tillage. Parkstown is the residence of J. P. Lanphier, Esq.; and at Liskevin are the residences of R. Beere, T. Millet, and J. Going, Esqrs. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Ormonde. The tithes amount to £200, of which £60 is payable to the impropriator, and £140 to the vicar. There is no church, glebe-house, or glebe; the members of the Established Church attend divine service at Littleton, about 2 ½ miles distant. There are two pay schools, in which are about 100 boys and 60 girls.

« Ballymore, Wexford | Index | Ballymote »