BALLYMORE, or ST. OWEN'S of LOUGHSEUDY, a post-town and parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYMORE, or ST. OWEN'S of LOUGHSEUDY, a post-town and parish, in the barony of RATHCONRATH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 12 miles (W. by S.) from Mullingar, and 57 ½ miles (W.) from Dublin; containing 3494 inhabitants. An abbey is said to have been founded here in the year 700; but the only religious establishment of which there are any authentic records was a monastery founded by the De Lacy family in 1218, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, for Premonstratensian canons and Benedictine nuns, who occupied distinct portions of the same building. Henry VIII. made, the church of this monastery the cathedral church for the diocese of Meath, which it continued to be for a short time. In the parliamentary war of 1641, this was the principal military station of the English in this part of the country; the garrison had possession of a strong fortress on the shore of Lough Shodie, or Loughseudy, which was accessible from the land only by a drawbridge across a wide and deep moat.

In the war of the Revolution, when part of the English army had fortified themselves at Mullingar, this place was strengthened by a party of the Irish forces from their head-quarters at Athlone, with the view of acting against Mullingar; but they were soon attacked by General De Ginkell, and pursued with loss to Moat-a-Grenogue. The fort of Ballymore, on the, island in the lake, was still in the possession of James's forces, and garrisoned with 1000 chosen men; but the forces of William advancing from Athlone to besiege it, the garrison, on seeing some armed boats launched to act against it from the lake, on which side it was defenceless, surrendered themselves prisoners of war after only one day's defence, and the fort was taken by General De Ginkell, who repaired the fortifications and placed in it a strong English garrison. The town, which is situated on the mail coach road from Moate, extends partly into the parish of Killare, and contains 663 inhabitants, of which number, 510 are in that part of it which is in the parish of Ballymore; it consists chiefly of small houses and cabins, and the only public buildings are the parish church and R. C. chapel. It had formerly a market, which has been discontinued; but fairs are held on Whit-Monday and Oct. 14th. Here is a chief constabulary police station; and petty sessions are held every alternate Friday.

The parish, which is called St. Owen's of Loughseudy, comprises 9189 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: about three-fifths of its entire extent are arable, and the remainder is pasture, ,with some waste land and bog. Agriculture, which had been long in a very neglected state, has within the last five or six years shewn some slight indications of improvement. There are some fine limestone quarries, which are worked for building and for burning into lime, but only for private use.

The lake of Shodie, or Loughseudy, is studded with some pleasing islets towards the north. Beyond it is Shinlas, formerly the residence of the Malones, but now in ruins: Emoe, the seat of F. Magan, Esq., and Moyvoughly, that of C. Arabin, Esq., are pleasantly situated about two miles south-west of the town. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Meath, united to the impropriate curacy of Killare, and in the patronage of the Bishop to whom the rectory is appropriate: the tithes amount to £323. 1. 6 ¼., payable to the bishop. The church, a neat edifice with a square tower, was erected by aid of a loan of £1200 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1827. The glebe-house was built by a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the same Board, in 1813: the glebe comprises 30 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, which comprises also the parish of Killare, each of which contains a chapel. There are seven pay schools, in which are about 330 children. Near the town are the remains of an ancient castle, said to have belonged to the De Lacy family; the only portion standing is a round tower, about 20 feet in height.

« Ballymore, Dublin | Index | Ballymore, Wexford »

Search Library Ireland


My Lady of the Chimney CornerMy Lady of the Chimney Corner

A memorable and moving story of the triumph of the human spirit in the face of adversity. In 1863 the author, Alexander Irvine, was born into dire poverty, the child of a 'mixed' marriage. His parents had survived the ravages of the famine years, but want and hunger were never to be too far away from their door. Irvine was ultimately destined to leave Ireland for America and to become a successful minister and author. He learned to read and write when he had left his home in Antrim far behind, but he came to realize that the greatest lessons he had received in life were at his mother's knee. My Lady of the Chimney Corner is the depiction of an existence that would be unthinkable in modern Ireland; but, more than that, it is the author's loving tribute to his mother, Anna, who taught him to look at the world through clean spectacles. ISBN 978-1-910375-32-7. USA orders. The book is also available as a Kindle download (UK) and Kindle download (US).

Popular Rhymes and Sayings of IrelandPopular Rhymes and Sayings of Ireland

In Popular Rhymes and Sayings of Ireland (first published in 1924) John J. Marshall examines the origin of a variety of rhymes and sayings that were at one time in vogue around different parts of the country, including those which he recalled from his own childhood in County Tyrone. Numerous riddles, games and charms are recounted, as well as the traditions of the ‘Wren Boys’ and Christmas Rhymers. Other chapters describe the war cries of prominent Irish septs and the names by which Ireland has been personified in literature over the centuries. The book is also available as a Kindle download.


Annals of the Famine in Ireland

Annals of the Famine in Ireland

Annals of the Famine in Ireland, by Asenath Nicholson, still has the power to shock and sadden even though the events described are ever-receding further into the past. When you read, for example, of the poor widowed mother who was caught trying to salvage a few potatoes from her landlord’s field, and what the magistrate discovered in the pot in her cabin, you cannot help but be appalled and distressed.

The ebook is available for download in .mobi (Kindle), .epub (iBooks, etc.) and .pdf formats. For further information on the book and author see details ».

Ireland's Welcome to the Stranger

Ireland’s Welcome to the Stranger

This book, the prequel to Annals of the Famine in Ireland cannot be recommended highly enough to those interested in Irish social history. The author, Mrs Asenath Nicholson, travelled from her native America to assess the condition of the poor in Ireland during the mid 1840s. Refusing the luxury of hotels and first class travel, she stayed at a variety of lodging-houses, and even in the crude cabins of the very poorest. Not to be missed!

The ebook is available for download in .mobi (Kindle), .epub (iBooks, etc.) and .pdf formats. For further information on the book and author see details ».

The Scotch-Irish in America

The Scotch-Irish in America

Henry Ford Jones' book, first published in 1915 by Princeton University, is a classic in its field. It covers the history of the Scotch-Irish from the first settlement in Ulster to the American Revolutionary period and the foundation of the country.

The ebook is available for download in .mobi (Kindle), .epub (iBooks, etc.) and .pdf formats. For further information on the book and author see details ».


letterJoin our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.

You won’t be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.