BALLYMORE, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYMORE, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ¼ miles (W.) from Broadway; containing 522 inhabitants. This parish is situated near Lough Ta, and comprises 2520 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and forms part of the union of Kilscoran, also called Tacumshane, which constitutes the corps of the chancellorship in the cathedral of Ferns: the tithes amount to £203. 17. 11 ½., payable to the chancellor. In 1832 the parishes of Ballymore and Tacumshane were formed into an ecclesiastical district under the name of Churchtown, and a perpetual curacy was instituted. The new church is situated in the parish of Tacumshane, but close to the border of this parish, and was built by aid of a grant from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions it is in the union or district of Maglass; a chapel has been lately erected. There is a school at Moonfield Cross.

« Ballymore, Westmeath | Index | Ballymoreen »