BALLYMARTLE, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYMARTLE, a parish, in the barony of KINNALEA, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Kinsale; containing 1706 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the ancient family of Martel, to whom it formerly belonged; it is situated on the old road from Cork to Kinsale, and contains 5452 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act and valued at £3994 per ann. About 40 or 50 acres are woodland; 100 acres, young plantations; and the remainder, except a very small portion of bog at Scart, is arable and pasture. The soil, though generally light, is tolerably fertile; in that part of the parish bordering on Templemichael, on the west, it is of a very superior quality, being a yellow loam of some depth and bearing excellent crops. About three-fourths of the land are under tillage, and the remainder generally in large dairy farms. Sand and other marine manures are brought up within a mile of the parish, and are extensively applied by the farmers, affording employment to a considerable number of persons. There is a small oatmeal-mill, and in the southern part of the parish is a flour-mill.

The principal seats are Ballintober, the residence of the Rev. J. Meade; Ballymartle, of W. R. Meade, Esq.; Coolkirky, of T. Herrick, Esq.; Glendoneen, of the Rev. J. Stoyle. They are all finely wooded; the proprietor of the last has planted 180,000 trees on his demesne, which are in a very flourishing state, and the whole forms a very interesting and beautiful feature in the view of a country so generally destitute of wood. Near the church is a constabulary police station; and petty sessions are held in the village every alternate Monday. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £424. 12. 4. The church is a small, plain ancient structure, and contains a monument to Sir John Meade, Bart., grandfather of the first Lord Clanwilliam, and judge of the palatine court of the county of Tipperary, who was buried there. The glebe comprises 5 ¾ acres, but there is no glebe-house. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also that of Cullen; the chapel, near the village, is a plain modern edifice. A Sunday school is supported by the rector; and there are two pay schools, in which are 30 boys and 11 girls.

« Ballymartin | Index | Ballymartyr »


Library Ireland Facebook