BALLYBOUGHT, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYBOUGHT, a parish, in the barony of UPPER-CROSS, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S. W.) from Ballymore-Eustace; containing 207 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Ballymore to Hollywood, and is chiefly under an improving system of tillage and pasturage; it forms part of the lordship and manor of Ballymore. White Lays is the seat of J. M. Lynch, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, and is one of four which constitute the union of Ballymore; the rectory is appropriate to the treasurership in the cathedral of St. Patrick, Dublin. The tithes amount to £41. 3. 1., of which £11. 18. 9. is payable to the treasurer, and £29. 4. 4. to the vicar. The church is in ruins; and there is neither glebe nor glebe-house. In the R. C. divisions also it is included in the union or district of Ballymore. Near Broad Lays is a rath or moat, in which, on its being opened a few years since, was discovered, about twenty feet from the surface, a large circular flagstone placed over several compartments, each having a small flag at the top and containing ashes and burnt bones. Near White Lays there is a circle of large blocks of granite, which must have been brought hither, as there is no granite in the parish; in the centre were several upright stones, which have been removed; it is supposed to be a druidical relic.

« Ballyboghill | Index | Ballyboy »


Library Ireland Facebook