BALLYBACON, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYBACON, a parish, in the barony of IFFA and OFFA WEST, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Clogheen: containing 2970 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the mail coach road from Cork to Dublin, and near the river Suir; and comprises 4158 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The river Tarr flows through it; and within its limits is Kilgrogy, the residence of S. Clutterbuck, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore; the rectory is part of the union of Kilrush and corps of the archdeaconry of Lismore, and the vicarage is united to that of Tubrid. The tithes amount to £461. 10. 1., of which £283. 0. 10. is payable to the archdeacon, and £178. 9. 3. to the vicar. There is no church; the glebe, which belongs to the archdeacon, comprises 17 ¾ acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union of Ardfinnan: two chapels are now being erected. There are two pay schools, in which are about 100 boys and 80 girls. Here is a well, called Poul-a-Tarr, 48 feet in depth, from which there is a constant and copious flow of water.

« Ballyane | Index | Ballybarrack »


Library Ireland Facebook