BALL'S-BRIDGE, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALL'S-BRIDGE, a village, in that part of the parish of ST. MARY, DONNYBROOK, which is within the county of the city of DUBLIN, in the province of LEINSTER, l ½ mile (S. E.) from the Post-office, Dublin: the population is returned with the parish. This place derives its name from a bridge of three arches erected here over the Dodder, in 1791, and rebuilt in 1835. It is pleasantly situated on the high road from Dublin to Kingstown and Bray, and on the left or west bank of the river, which issues from the mountains near Rockbrook, and falls into the Liffey near Ringsend. In the immediate vicinity, and on the right of the road from Dublin, stood Baggot-rath Castle, which was seized during the night by the forces of the Marquess of Ormonde, on his meditated investiture of the city, in 1649; but soon after daybreak on the following morning, the assailants were driven out by the garrison of Dublin and pursued and completely defeated. In 1651 the castle was taken by storm by Oliver Cromwell. All remains of it have long since disappeared; and within the last few years several handsome houses have been erected on its site.

Adjoining the village, on the south, and along the banks of the Dodder, are works for printing linen, calico, and cotton, established about the year 1740, and since greatly extended and improved by Messrs. Duffy and Co., who for more than 40 years have been the sole proprietors. They are at present capable of finishing 100,000 pieces annually, are worked by the water of the Dodder and by steam-engines of 40-horse power, and afford constant employment to more than 400 persons. Near the village are the Hammersmith iron-works, established in 1834 by Mr. R. Turner: the front of this extensive establishment is 200 feet long, presenting a handsome facade towards the road; and at the back are numerous dwelling-houses for the workmen, which are called the Hammersmith cottages. The road on which these works are situated has been greatly improved; wide footpaths have been formed, and the whole is lighted with gas. Nearly adjoining the works are the botanical gardens belonging to Trinity College, The village is within the jurisdiction of the Dublin Court of Conscience for the recovery of small debts, and for all criminal matters within that of the metropolitan police. In the post-office arrangements it is within the limits of the twopenny-post delivery. An infants' school, a neat building with apartments for a master and mistress, was erected chiefly at the expense of Mr. and Mrs. Patten: here is also a dispensary.—See DONNYBROOK (ST. MARY).

« Ballon | Index | Bally »


Library Ireland Facebook