BALLINTOGHER, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLINTOGHER, a village, in the parish of KILLERY, barony of TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 ½ miles (S. W.) from Drornohair; containing 201 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the road from Dromohair to Collooney, comprises about 40 thatched dwellings, and contains the parish church, a small plain building, and the parochial Roman Catholic chapel, a large and commodious edifice. Fairs are held on Jan. 22nd, June 8th, July 28th, Oct. 17th, and Dec. 8th; and here is a station of the constabulary police. Near it is Oldcastle, the residence of E. Loftus Neynoe, Esq.; occupying the site of the ancient castle of Kingsfort. Iron ore has been found in the vicinity; and in the mountains of West Lough Gill are indications of coal, manganese, iron, and copper, besides a great variety of clays.—See KILLERY.

« Ballintobber, Roscommon | Index | Ballintoy »


Library Ireland Facebook