BALLINCUSLANE, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLINCUSLANE, a parish, in the barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 ½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Castleisland; containing 4700 inhabitants. The parish, which is situated on the west bank of the river Blackwater, and on the confines of the county of Cork, is intersected by the old and new roads from Castleisland into that county, the latter being the road to King-William's-Town, now in progress at the expense of Government. It comprises 37,118 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, a large portion of which consists of rough mountain pasture and bog, which is mostly reclaimable: the arable land is of good quality, and limestone is found in abundance near Ardnagragh, and is used principally for manure. The only gentlemen's seats are Derreen, a lodge belonging to J. Bateman, Esq., and Mount-Eagle, the sporting residence of C. G. Fairfield, Esq., who, with Colonel Drummond, are proprietors of one-sixth of the seigniory of Castleisland, and have made considerable improvements by planting, draining, and the construction of new roads.

The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and till lately was one of the four that constituted the union of Castleisland, in the patronage of the Proprietors of that seigniory; but the union has been divided into three separate livings, confirmed by act of council in 1836: the tithes amount to £460. 12. 7. Divine service is regularly performed at Derreen; but it is expected that a church will be built in the parish. In the R. C. divisions the parish, with the exception of a small portion attached to Knocknagashel, forms part of the union or district of Castleisland; the chapel, a plain but commodious building, is situated at Cordel, near Ardnagragh. A school-house has been lately built near Mount-Eagle, for 120 children; and there are six private schools, in which about 100 boys and 50 girls are educated. At Ardnagragh are the ruins of Desmond's chapel, with a burial-ground attached, now called Kilnananima; here the remains of " The Great " Earl of Desmond (who was slain in 1583) were interred. Near this spot are the ruins of Kilmurry castle, which was taken by Colonel Phaire, of Cork, in 1650: this and the castles of Kilcushnan and Bally-Mac-Adam, situated within half a mile of each other, were inhabited by three brothers named Fitzgerald, of the Desmond family, between whom such enmity subsisted that none of them would suffer the others to pass unmolested through his lands.

« Ballincollig | Index | Ballindangan »


Library Ireland Facebook