BALLINACURRA, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLINACURRA, a village, in the parish of MIDLETON, barony of IMOKILLY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 1 mile (S.) from Midleton; containing 527 inhabitants. This place is pleasantly situated on the banks of the Midleton river, and contains 144 houses. It is well situated for trade; and several large grain stores and malt-houses have been recently built, and some excellent quays have been constructed. A bridge has been thrown across the creek, over which passes the road to Rostellan; and several other improvements are in contemplation. A considerable trade is carried on in the exportation of grain, which is chiefly sent to Liverpool, Bristol, and London; and in the importation of coal, timber, iron, slate, and other heavy goods for the supply of the flourishing town of Midleton, to which place the navigation might be extended at a small expense. Limestone is very abundant throughout the neighbourhood, and great quantities are quarried for building, and burnt for agricultural purposes. The harbour communicates with that of Cove by a passage called the East Ferry; the tide rises here from eight to twelve feet, and brigs of 300 tons burden can safely sail up to the quay. There are in the neighbourhood several handsome houses, occupied by wealthy individuals: and nearly adjoining the vijlage are the ruins of the ancient parish church.—See MIDLETON.

« Ballinacourty, Kerry | Index | Ballinadee »


Library Ireland Facebook