BALLINACOURTY, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLINACOURTY, a parish, in the barony of DUNKELLIN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (S. byW.) from Oranmore; containing 3250 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the eastern shore of the bay of Galway, and on the road from Oranmore to an inlet of the bay forming the approach to Claren-Bridge. The inlet of Tyrone or Ballinacourty is well sheltered, and has good anchorage for vessels drawing not more than ten feet of water, which, however, must not venture in when it comes within two hours of low water of spring tides, as there are then only nine feet in the channel. Westerly winds occasion a great swell at the entrance, in which case it should not be attempted before half flood, nor after half ebb. On the south side of the haven there is a small pier called St. Kitt's, built by the Fishery Board, but adapted only for boats, the strand being dry at low water; it was never properly finished, and is now in a ruinous condition. Small craft sail up this inlet three miles further, to a point near Claren-Bridge and Kilcolgan.

In the parish is the Cottage, the residence of J. Ryan, Esq. The living consists of a rectory and a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Tuam; the former is part of the union of St. Nicholas and corps of the wardenship of Galway; and the latter is one of four which constitute the union of Kilcummin. The tithes amount to £240, of which £180 is payable to the warden, and £60 to the perpetual curate. In the R. C. divisions the parish is in the diocese of Galway, and forms part of the union or district of Oranmore: the chapel is a large thatched building, capable of accommodating 1000 persons. There is a school at Gurrane, in which about 70 boys and 50 girls are taught; and there are three private pay schools, in which are about 120 children. At the village of Ballinacourty are the remains of an old church.

« Ballinacor | Index | Ballinacourty, Kerry »


Library Ireland Facebook