BALLINACOURTY, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLINACOURTY, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 85 miles (E. by N.) from Dingle, on the road to Tralee; containing 1884 inhabitants. It comprises 2973 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. A considerable portion is rough mountain pasture, with some bog, but mostly irreclaimable; the remainder is under cultivation. A few boats are employed in fishing in the bay of Dingle, but for want of proper shelter the fishery is very limited. The construction of a small pier on this side of the bay would be of great advantage. Fairs are held at Ballinclare on the 1st of May and 4th of October, for black cattle and pigs. At Annascall is a constabulary police station; and petty sessions are also held there. A seneschal's court for the barony is held at Ballintarmin, generally on the last Wednesday in the month, at which debts not exceeding £10 late currency are recoverable.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and about the year 1750 was episcopally united to six other vicarages, constituting the union of Kilflyn; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Cork. The tithes amount to £161. 10. 9. The church, situated at Annascall, was erected by aid of a loan of £600 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1816. The glebe-house of the union is situated here, and was built by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £200 from the same Board, in 1821: there is also another at Kilflyn. The glebe comprises 14 plantation acres; and there is also an old glebe of four acres about a mile distant. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the district of Ballinvohir; a chapel is now in course of erection at Annascall, at which place is a school, principally supported by the Earl of Cork. There are still some remains of the old church in the burial-ground.

« Ballinacourty, Galway | Index | Ballinacurra »


Library Ireland Facebook