BALLINACOR, a constablewick

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLINACOR, a constablewick or sub-denomination of the parish of RATHDRUM, barony of BALLINACOR, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ½ miles (W.) from Rathdrum; containing 1221 inhabitants. This place is situated in the mountain district leading to Glenmalur, and comprises 27,225 statute acres, of which 20,473 are mountain, and 6752 are arable and pasture land, and of which also 16,619 acres are applotted under the tithe act. Ballinacor, the seat of W. Kemmis, Esq., is beautifully situated on the side of a hill commanding an extensive view of the vale towards the Cormorce copper mines. The military road intersects the constablewick, in which are the barracks of Drumgoff and Aughavanah. Fairs are held on Feb. 4th, May 1st, Aug. 4th, and Nov. 4th. As regards its tithes, which amount to £103. 17. 6 ¾., this is one of the denominations that constitute the union or benefice of Rathdrum; it also forms, with the constablewick of Ballykine, the perpetual cure of Ballinaclash, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, and in the patronage of the Incumbent of Rathdrum. A school is supported by Mr. Kemmis, in the village of Grenane.

« Ballinaclough | Index | Ballinacourty, Galway »


Library Ireland Facebook