BALLINACALLY, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLINACALLY, a village, in the parish of KILCHRIST, barony of CLONDERLAW, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Kildysart; the population is returned with the parish. It is situated on the road from Kildysart to Ennis, and near the river Fergus, on the banks of which is a small quay of rude construction, from which corn, butter, pork, and other agricultural produce are sent to Limerick, in boats of 10 or 12 tons burden, and where limestone and sea manure are landed for the supply of the neighbourhood. It has a daily penny post to Ennis and Kilrush, and a public dispensary: and fairs are held on June 14th, Sept. 16th, and Nov. 8th, chiefly for cattle. A little to the north of the village is the ruined tower or castle of Dangan, the upper part of which is supported only by the winding stone staircase.—See KILCHRIST.

« Ballinaboy | Index | Ballinacargy »


Library Ireland Facebook