ANNAGASSON, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

ANNAGASSON, a village, in the parish of DRUMCAR, barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (S.) from Dundalk; containing 235 inhabitants. This place is situated on a pleasant beach, forming part of Dundalk bay; it comprises 38 houses, which are neatly built, and the handsome residence of Robert Thompson, Esq., who has some extensive mills, and is proprietor of the shipping, which afford employment to the inhabitants. The river Drumcar abounds with salmon and trout, and is here crossed by a substantial bridge. There is a beautiful drive along the sea-side to Dundalk, and to Clogher Head, where regattas are annually held; and the view of the bay and the sea, with steam-boats and other craft daily passing and repassing, give an air of cheerfulness to the place. The principal import is coal for the supply of the neighbourhood. Fairs are held on March 17th, May 7th, July 22d, and Nov. 8th.— See DRUMCAR.

« Annaduff | Index | Annageliffe »


Library Ireland Facebook