AHARA, otherwise AUGHARA, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

AHARA, otherwise AUGHARA, a parish, in the barony of ABBEYSHRUEL, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 4 ½ miles (N. E.) from Ballymahon, on the mail coach road from that place to Mullingar: the population is returned with Kilglass. It comprises 2277 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is principally under tillage, but there is a large tract of bog. Castle-Wilder is the residence of H. Pollock, Esq. Petty sessions are held at Castle-Wilder every alternate week. It is in the diocese of Ardagh, and is part of the union of Kilglass, to which the vicarage is attached; the rectory is impropriate in Col. Fox. The tithes amount to £108. 15. 4 ¼.., of which £37. 7. 8 ¼. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar: the glebe comprises 37 acres, valued at £59. 19. 2. per annum. In the R. C. divisions it is also united to Kilglass. There are five hedge schools, in which are 96 boys and 56 girls. The remains of the church are still visible at Ahara, and there are also ruins of the ancient castle of Ardandra.

« Ahamplish | Index | Aharney »


Library Ireland Facebook