AGLISHDRINAGH, or AGLISHDRIDEEN, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

AGLISHDRINAGH, or AGLISHDRIDEEN, a parish, in the barony of ORRERY and KILMORE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 ½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Charleville, on the road from that place to Buttevant; containing 973 inhabitants. It comprises 4770 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4228 per ann.: the land under tillage is in general of good quality, but a very large portion of the parish consists chiefly of hilly pasture. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £240. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions this is one of the six parishes that constitute the union of Ballyhea, or Newtown. There are some vestiges of the ancient parish church.

« Aglishcormick | Index | Aglishmartin »


Library Ireland Facebook