AGHOLD, or AGH-UAILL, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

AGHOLD, or AGH-UAILL, a parish, in the half-barony of SHILLELAGH, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Tullow; containing 2977 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the south-western boundary of the county, comprises 7978 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The state of agriculture is improving; there is a considerable quantity of mountain land and bog. The gentlemen's seats are Munny, the residence of Capt. A. A. Nickson; the Hall, of A. Haskins, Esq.; and Killenure, of A. Muntford, Esq. A constabulary police station has been established here; and petty sessions are held at Coolkenno every alternate Monday. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, constituting the corps of the prebend of Aghold in the cathedral church of St. Lazerian, Leighlin, and episcopally united, in 1714, to the impropriate curacies of Mullinacuff, Crecrim, and Liscoleman, which four parishes form the union of Aghold, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £464. 3. 3 ¾.; and the gross tithes of the union, payable to the incumbent, amount to £674. 9. 9 ¼. The church was erected in 1716, and enlarged by aid of a loan of £350 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1814. The glebe-house was built by a gift of £100 and a loan of £1350 from the same Board; the glebe comprises 10 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish is included in the union or district of Clonmore; the chapel is at Kilquigan. There are five schools, of which the parochial school is under the Trustees of Erasmus Smith's Charity, and another is aided by the Governors of the Foundling Hospital, and in which about 160 boys and 120 girls are taught.

« Aghnamullen | Index | Aghour »


Library Ireland Facebook