AGHIART, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

AGHIART, a parish, in the barony of KILLIAN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 12 miles (E. S. E.) from Tuam, on the road from that place to Ballinasloe; the population is returned with the parish of Ballinakilly. It comprises 3203 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the soil is fertile, the land generally in a good state of cultivation, and the bogs are all reclaimable. Mount Bellew is the seat of M. D. Bellew, Esq., and Bellew's Grove, of Mrs. Bellew. The parish is in the diocese of Tuam, and is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the union of Moylough: the tithes, which also include those of Ballinakilly, amount to £148. 10. 8 ¼. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, also called the union of Mount Bellew, which comprises the parishes of Aghiart, Killascobe, and Moylough, and contains three chapels, situated respectively at Mount Bellew, Menlo, and Moylough; the first is a handsome slated edifice, erected at the sole expense of C. D. Bellew, Esq.

« Agherton | Index | Aghnamadle »


Library Ireland Facebook