ACHILLBEG, an island

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

ACHILLBEG, an island, in the parish of ACHILL, barony of BURRISHOOLE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 22 miles (W.) from Newport-Pratt: the population is returned with the parish. This island is situated on the western coast, and on the north side of the entrance of Clew bay; it is separated from the larger island of Achill by a narrow sound, which in some parts is fordable and almost dry at low water. The western shore is very wild, and, in consequence of the swells running to a great height, is unapproachable even in the calmest weather. It comprises about 200 statute acres, the property of Sir Richard A. O'Donnell, Bart.; a small portion of the land is arable, and the remainder is rocky pasture. A coast-guard station has been established here, and is one of the six stations constituting the district of Westport.

« Achill | Index | Achonry »


Library Ireland Facebook