ABBEYDORNEY, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

ABBEYDORNEY, a village, in the parish of O'DORNEY, barony of CLANMAURICE, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 7 ½ miles (N. N. E.) from Tralee; containing 338 inhabitants. This place, which is situated at the intersection of the old and new roads from Tralee to Listowel, takes its name from the ancient abbey of Kirie Eleyson, or O'Dorney, founded here in 1154 by some person unknown, for Cistertian monks, who were brought from the abbey of Magio, in the county of Limerick; the abbot was a lord in parliament. The remains are situated a little to the north of the village, but retain few vestiges of its original character. The village, which consists mostly of thatched houses, is a constabulary police station; a penny post from Tralee has been established, and a manorial court is held occasionally. The R. C. parochial chapel, built here in 1826, at an expense of £600, is a spacious and handsome edifice fronted with stone, in the later English style, and embellished with a fine altar-piece and painting. Near the village is a flour-mill.— See O'DORNEY.

« Abbey | Index | Abbeyfeale »


Library Ireland Facebook