HOWIS, WILLIAM

(b. 1804, d. 1882)

Landscape Painter

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

Son of Edward Howis (q.v.), was born in the county of Waterford in 1804. He entered the schools of the Royal Dublin Society in 1821, and won prizes therein 1823 and 1826. In 1828 he was living at 8 Portland Place, and made his first contribution to the Royal Hibernian Academy. He was afterwards at 28 Mabbot Street, and from 1838 to 1848 in Henry Street, whence he moved to Mary Street, and finally to 22 Jervis Street. He was a constant exhibitor in the Royal Hibernian Academy until 1863. In that year, on visiting the Academy during the exhibition, he found that his pictures had been removed from the place they had occupied and placed in an obscure position. He remonstrated, and in a fit of indignation he cut the picture nearest to him from its frame and never exhibited again. Howis painted landscapes and views, and did many good copies after James A. O'Connor (q.v.), which not unfrequently appear as originals of that artist. He painted a few portraits, including one of Sir James Dombrain, Inspector-General of Coastguards in Ireland, which was lithographed by Lowes Dickinson and published by Hulmandel. In November, 1873, he became an inmate of the Old Men's Asylum in Northbrook Road, and remained there until his death which took place on the 7th October, 1882, at the age of 74 years. Howis married in 1825, at the age of 21, Dorothea Rogers, a widow, by whom he was the father of William Howis, jun. (q.v.).

« Edward Howis | Contents and Search | William Howis Junior »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook