BROCAS, SAMUEL FREDERICK

(b. about 1792, d. 1847)

Landscape Painter

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

Born about 1792, the second son of Henry Brocas, senr. (q.v.). He was a successful student at the Dublin Society's School, obtaining a medal for flower-painting in 1801, one for etching in 1802, and another in 1807, for figure drawing. He practised in Dublin as a landscape painter, both in oil and water-colour, and his works painted broadly and good in colour possess considerable merit. He contributed to the exhibitions in Dublin in 1804, 1809 and 1812, and exhibited landscapes at the Royal Hibernian Academy between 1828 and 1847. He was a member of the Society of Irish Artists which held its first exhibition in 1845. A "View looking into Powerscourt Demesne," an oil picture, is in the possession of Mr. J. C. Nairn, of 13 Westland Row, and several of his water-colours belong to Mr. Finucane, of Pembroke Road.

In the National Gallery of Ireland are two water-colours by him, a "View of Dublin from near the Four Courts," and a "View of College Green and Trinity College," the latter dated 1818. Two water-colours, "The Post Office and Nelson's Pillar," and "The Castle Chapel," are in the Victoria and Albert Museum; and "The General Post Office, Dublin," signed and dated 1818, is in the British Museum. A scries of twelve views of Dublin drawn by him were engraved by his brother Henry. In 1826, he published, at 15 Henry Street, where he was then living with his father, a folio lithograph, done by himself, of "King John's Castle, Limerick." Another lithograph by him, a "View of Trinity College and East Portico of the Bank of Ireland," 11 ¾ by 16 ¾ inches, was published by Allen of Dame Street. A "View of Dublin from the Phoenix Park," 17 ¾ by 23 ¾ inches, was aquatinted by A. Courcel, and published by Le Petit in Henry Street. The plate is still in existence, and prints from it are occasionally issued. Samuel F. Brocas died in his house, 120 Lower Baggot Street, on 14th May, 1847. In his will, dated 19th August, 1846, and proved 10th June, 1847, he left his pictures, drawings and prints to his brother Henry.

« James Henry Brocas | Contents and Search | William Brocas »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook