MILLARD, MRS.

(d. 1894)

Wood Engraver

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

Caroline Clayton, daughter of Benjamin Clayton (II) wood-engraver (q.v.). She learned her art from her father, and for many years worked successfully in Dublin. Her title-page for the "Spirit of the Nation," after Burton, was given a prize by the Irish Art Union in 1844 for its merits as a wood-engraving. The portrait of D. Maclise which appeared in O'Driscoll's "Life" of that painter was done by her from the drawing by Maclise himself now in the National Gallery of Ireland. She married in 1841 Thomas Millard who, originally a cabinet-maker in Cheltenham, came to Ireland in 1838 and was employed by the Board of National Education. About 1846 he commenced business as a builder in Mary Street and carried out many important works, including St. Anne's, Clontarf. He was a clever mechanic and keenly devoted to scientific pursuits, taking an active interest in the development of photography. About 1856 he, with James Simonton, established a photographic studio in Sackville Street. He died on 6th February, 1882. Mrs. Millard survived him and died at her residence, No. 10 Mount Pleasant Square, on 26th April, 1894, and was buried at Mount Jerome. A son, William Millard, exhibited busts in the Royal Hibernian Academy between 1868 and 1879, and is now connected with the City of Dublin Technical School in Kevin Street.

« J. W. Millar | Contents and Search | Andrew Miller »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook