HANBURY, MICHAEL

(fl. c. 1748-1756)

Engraver

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

His name first occurs in 1748, when he published a mezzotint of a "Holy Family," after Maratti, inscribed M. Hanbury fecit 1748. Harris's "History of the Life and Reign of William III," published in 1749, contains a map of Carrickfergus and a plate of medals engraved by him. In the following year he was established as an engraver and print-seller at "The Bear," in George's Lane, afterwards moving to Skinner's Row, next door to Dick's Coffee House. He was encouraged by the Dublin Society, which in 1758 gave him ten pounds for "a design engraved on copper," in 1759 five pounds for an engraving, and in 1763 four guineas for "an engraving in imitation of chalk." Among the prints done by Hanbury is the scarce folio of St. Patrick, with other saints, done in 1756 and dedicated to Theobald Lord Cahir. He was the publisher, in George's Lane, of Richard Purcell's mezzotint of Miss Hudson; and there is a folio etching of "Jack Haugh, otherwise Mill Cushin, born in Mountmellick. Dublin: printed and sold by Michael Hanbury at the Bear in George's Lane," undated. A book-plate of "John Welles" is signed M. Hanbury scul. The date of Hanbury's death has not been ascertained. A PATRICK HANBURY was awarded a premium by the Dublin Society in 1761, and another of two guineas in 1763 for designs on copper-plates.

« John Hamrock | Contents and Search | Richard Hand »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook