FARRELL, JOSEPH

(b. 1823, d. 1904)

Sculptor

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

Joseph Farrell. Photograph

Second son of Terence Farrell (q.v.), was born in 1823. He collaborated with his brothers, chiefly in church work; but he also did some fancy groups and figures. A small marble statue of "The Blessed Virgin," done to the order of Mr. Nugent Skelly, made him known to the Catholic clergy, and, until it was pirated by the Italian moulders in Dublin, the sale of copies in plaster brought him in a considerable income. He received many commissions for religious statues and altars; among them the altars in Waterford Cathedral, Dundalk Church, Rathgar Church, and the Convent of the Redemptorists at Drumcondra, where is also a statue by him of "St. Joseph." "A Bard" by him was in the Dublin Exhibition of 1853, and "Looking at the Sea" and "Saved from the Wreck" in the Exhibition of 1872. He exhibited in the Royal Hibernian Academy from 1839 to 1896. He died in 1904, and was buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.

« John Farrell | Contents and Search | Michael Farrell »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook