BARRALET, JOHN MELCHIOR

(fl. 1774-1787)

Landscape Painter in Water-colour

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

Brother of John James Barralet (q.v.). Although he probably began his artistic career in Dublin no record of his work there has been found. In 1774 he was in London, living at No. 30 Frith Street, and exhibited two landscapes with the Free Society. The following year he sent a tinted drawing to the Royal Academy, and he also contributed in 1776, 1777 and 1778. He was then living in Orange Street. His business card, an etching of a river scene, with the address 3 Orange Street, Leicester Fields, and signed J. M. Barralet fecit, 1777, is in the British Museum. In 1783 he was at Clapham, and had nine drawings at the Society of Artists. Moving to South Lambeth he made his last appearance in the Royal Academy in 1787. J. M. Barralet was chiefly employed as a teacher. His works were mostly tinted drawings, views in Surrey, Kent and London. A few were engraved. In the Victoria and Albert Museum is a drawing of "All Saints Church and Bishop's Palace, Maidstone," signed and dated 1776, and in the British Museum three rustic views in aquatint.

« John James Barralet | Contents and Search | Edward Barret »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook