DEBENHAM, JOHN

(fl. 1767-1800)

Engraver

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

He appears to have been a native of England, and to have come to Ireland some time before 1767. In that year he was working as an engraver at the Raven in Castle Street, and from that address issued an advertisement returning "his unfeigned thanks for encouragement since his arrival in this Kingdom." His work at that time seems to have been chiefly the engraving of "visiting tickets," shop bills, coats-of-arms, etc. In 1768 he removed from Castle Street to the Golden Key in High Street, opposite St. Nicholas' Church, where he had, as he announced in an advertisement, "one of the most complete rolling presses ever made in this Kingdom." He was admitted to the freedom of the Guild of St. Luke in 1769, and was one of its Wardens in 1773. He remained at the Golden Key until 1773; after that he was in Castle Street; in 1775 in College Green, and next year was at 52 Castle Street, where he remained ten years, removing to 15 Anglesea Street in 1785. He carried on his business there until 1791, when he went to 17 Charlemont Street. Debenham did a considerable amount of work for magazines and books, and held for some years the post of Inspector of Dies and Plates in the Stamp Office, Eustace Street. The year of his death is not known; he was living as late as 1800.

« Kennedy Dean | Contents and Search | William Henry De Daubrawa »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook