FORD, JAMES

(fl. 1778-1812)

Engraver

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

He entered the schools of the Dublin Society in 1772, and in the next year obtained a prize for design and pattern-drawing. He started for himself as an engraver, and was employed by the Dublin Society, which granted him in 1778 ten guineas "for his improvement in the art of engraving." He did a number of plates in aquatint for the County Surveys issued by the Society, and was also much employed in book illustrations. He worked for many years at 15 Essex Quay. The date of his death is not known; he was living at least as late as 1812.

Among his engravings, many of which are of considerable merit, are:

Portrait of Thomas Ryder. Stipple; after M. A. Shee; published by Ford at 15 Essex Quay.

The Taking of the Earl of Ormonde. In Leland's "History of Ireland," Vol. II.

View of the Giant's Causeway. Inset in map in Rev. W. Hamilton's "Letters concerning the Northern Coast of Antrim," 1786.

The Grand Canal Hotel, Portobello/The New Stamp Office (Powers-court House). Two small well-engraved aquatints, probably done in 1811.

View of the Royal Infirmary from the Salute Battery. Aquatint, 7 by 10 inches; 1790.

View of the Giant's Causeway, from the East. "Statistical Survey of the Co. Antrim," 1812.

View of the Giant's Causeway from the West. "Statistical Survey of the Co. Antrim," 1812.

View of Port Brock. "Statistical Survey of the Co. Antrim," 1812.

View of Pleskin, east of the Causeway. "Statistical Survey of the Co. Antrim," 1812.

Dunluce, from the White Rocks. "Statistical Survey of the Co. Antrim," 1812.

View of Carrickfergus. "Statistical Survey of the Co. Antrim," 1812.

Dunluce Castle. "Statistical Survey of the Co. Antrim," 1812.

Round Tower, etc., at Trummery. "Statistical Survey of the Co. Antrim," 1812.

View from the Road near the Giant's Causeway. "Statistical Survey of the Co. Antrim," 1812.

Innistioge. "Survey of Co. Kilkenny," 1801-2.

Bridge of Waterford. "Survey of Co. Kilkenny," 1801-2.

View of Londonderry. "Survey of Co. Derry," 1802.

View of Ben Yvenagh. "Survey of Co. Derry," 1802.

View of Downhill. "Survey of Co. Derry," 1802.

View of Londonderry. Folding plate; frontispiece to Rev. G. V. Sampson's "Memoir, explanatory of the Chart and Survey of County Londonderry," 1814.

Abbey and Church of Aghaboe. In E. Ledwich's "Statistical account of the Parish of Aghaboe," 1796.

Plates in Ledwich's "Antiquities of Ireland," 1790, mostly afterdrawings by W. Beauford. For list see under W. Beauford.

Illustrations in "Sentimental and Masonic Magazine," 1792.

Frontispiece to the "Post-Chaise Companion," 1786; after J. J. Barralet.

Vignette in Walker's "Irish Bards," 1786.

Vignette on title-page of "An Essay on Painting," by William Hayley, published by P. Byrne, 1781.

A Map and section, etc., of the Grand Canal, from Dublin to Monasterevan. Drawn by J. Brownrigg, surveyor, in 1788, and published by him at 64 Grafton Street. 53 by 20 ½ inches. It contains a view on the canal with a passenger boat.

« George Frederick Folingsby | Contents and Search | Michael Ford »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook