STANDISH, HENRY

(fl. c. 1720-1793)

Seal Engraver

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

Was son of James Standish of Wood Street, Dublin (d. 1732), and brother of Deacon Standish, goldsmith, of Aungier Street, who died in 1791. He lived in Cole Alley, and afterwards, in 1737, in Fishamble Street. He was a Freeman of the City of Dublin in 1721, and his name occurs as a churchwarden of St. Werburgh's from 1731 to 1739. According to an advertisement in "Faulkner's Journal" he did "seal graving in stone and metal." He died in 1793. His son, HENRY STANDISH, who lived at No. 77 Dorset Street, cut letter-punches for the Goldsmiths' Company in 1791 and 1792. Another son, JAMES STANDISH, baptized on 20th June, 1733, at St. Werburgh's, studied in the Dublin Society's School, and was apprenticed in 1749 to his uncle, Deacon Standish. He lived at 77 Dorset Street, and worked as a seal-engraver and also cut punches for the Goldsmiths' Company from 1793 to 1803. He died in 1807. Another son, JOHN STANDISH, was a jeweller and seal-cutter in Fade Street. He died in 1797, and was buried on the 23rd April at St. Bride's.

« Charles Spooner | Contents and Search | Christopher Stanley »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook