PLACE, GEORGE

(fl. 1775-1809)

Miniature Painter

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

Was son of a wholesale linen-draper of Essex Bridge, Dublin. He entered the Dublin Society's Schools in December, 1775, and studied there under F. R. West. After practising for a time in Dublin he went to London and, in 1791, when he was living at 37 Southampton Street, he sent a "Portrait of a Gentleman" to the Royal Academy. Next year he sent, from 56 Poland Street, ten miniatures, and he again exhibited in 1793 and 1797. In these years his address was 211 Piccadilly and 48 Great Marlborough Street. After some years in London he went to York, and afterwards to India, where he appears to have followed his profession at Lucknow; but nothing is known of his career in the East. He died in India about 1809.

Among the many miniatures exhibited by Place in the Royal Academy were: "Dr. Walcott" and "Mrs. Billington," in 1792; "Sir John Jervis" and "Rear-Admiral Buckner," in 1793; "The Margravine of Anspach," "Mr. Angelo," "Mrs. Billington," and "Wilhelm Cramer, the Violinist," in 1797. The portrait of Cramer was engraved by T. Bragg in 1803. A miniature of "Alexander 4th Duke of Gordon," by Place, is in the Victoria and Albert Museum. Of Place's work in India, a picture of "Lord Lake and his son Lt.-Col. Lake at the battle of Laswarree," was engraved by R. Cooper. A "Portrait of Saadut Aly Khan, Nawab of Oude," painted at Lucknow for P. Treves, was engraved in mezzotint by W. Say and published in 1806, when the picture belonged to the Prince of Wales.

« Martin Piri | Contents and Search | Frederick Prussia Plowman »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook