RICCIARDELLI, GABRIELE

(fl. 1743-1777)

Landscape Painter

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

A native of Naples, he was a pupil of J. F. Van Bloemen, called Orizonte. About 1743 he was employed at Naples at the Court of Charles de Bourbon. In 1753 he came to Dublin and painted there for some years. Soon after his arrival he announced that he was "at liberty to paint for any gentlemen that think him deserving of their countenance." He was then at "Mr. Henderson's seed-shop, corner of Capel Street and the Quay." Dr. Mosse employed him in 1758 in his negotiations with Cipriani for the proposed decorative paintings in the Rotunda Chapel.

In March, 1758-9 he advertised engravings of Dublin from the sea and from the Phoenix Park; but these, if ever done, have not been met with. He subsequently went to London, and his name appears as an exhibitor of two landscapes at the "Exhibition or Grand Museum of Arts and Sciences at the Great Room, Royal Exchange, Strand," in 1777. An "Evening Scene" by him was lent to the Royal Dublin Society's Exhibition in 1861 by Miss Saurin, and two landscapes were in the collection of Lord Fitzgerald and Vesci sold in Dublin in August, 1843. In the possession of Mr. T. B. Ponsonby, of Kilcooley Abbey, Co. Tipperary, are two well-painted pictures, views from Stillorgan Park, one showing the Obelisk and the other Stillorgan House. These formerly belonged to the Rt. Hon. Philip Tisdall who lived at Stillorgan, and were sold at his sale in July, 1783.

« Sexton Rhone | Contents and Search | Daniel Richardson »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook