JONES, EDWARD

(b. about 1775, d. 1862)

Miniature Painter

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

Edward Jones. Silhouette; in possession of Mr. Walter Keating, Sibyl Hill, Clontarf.

Was born about 1775 and studied in the Dublin Society's Schools. In 1800 he sent, from 64 Grafton Street, seven portrait drawings to the exhibition held by the artists of Dublin at Allen's in Dame Street. In a notice of this exhibition in a contemporary newspaper Jones is referred to as "a rising genius, though but a lad." To the exhibition in the Parliament House in 1801 he contributed seven miniatures, and continued as a frequent exhibitor down to 1821. Only one of his many exhibited miniatures was named in the catalogues, viz., a portrait of Lady Stamer in the exhibition in Hawkins Street in 1 811. A miniature of Sir John Stevenson was engraved by H. Brocas for the "Cyclopedian Magazine," August, 1807, and a number of portraits of preachers and ministers were engraved by Maguire for the "Methodist Magazine." Jones lived for many years at No. 6 Chatham Street, and had a considerable practice as a miniature painter. He was Secretary to the Hibernian Society of Artists. He retired from his profession in 1827, and afterwards lived for some time at 32 Heytesbury Street. He died in his eighty-eighth year at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Amelia Keating, No. 16 Charlemont Mall, on the 17th February, 1862. A silhouette portrait of him, and a plaster bust by his son John E. Jones belong to his grandson, Walter Keating, Sibyl Hill, Clontarf.

« William Jolly | Contents and Search | John Jones »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook