PANORMO, CONSTANTINE, A.R.H.A.

(b. about 1805, d. 1852)

Sculptor

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

Was son of Francis Panormo of No. 8 Grafton Street, a professor of music, and was born in London about 1805. He distinguished himself as a student in the Royal Dublin Society's Schools by taking numerous prizes. In 1826 William Behnes, the sculptor, who had been a pupil in the school, offered to take two boys and instruct them for two years for sixty pounds a year. The Society accepted the proposal and sent over to London Panormo and Gallagher (q.v.). After some years in London and also in Rome, where he was sent at the expense of the Society, Panormo returned to Dublin in 1837, and in June, 184o, was appointed Master of the Society's School of Modelling in succession to John Smyth. He began to exhibit in the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1837. He was then living in Grattan Street, Lower Mount Street. He afterwards lived in Ormond Quay, and in 1845 moved to 112 Queen's Square. He exhibited at intervals in the Academy down to 1849, and was elected an Associate on 9th May, 1842. He died in his house in Queen's Square on 15th May, 1852.

Theseus rescuing Hippodamia from the Centaur. [Royal Dublin Society.]

Caractacus; a group. [Royal Dublin Society.] Purchased from the artist's widow in 1852.

George IV. This statue was begun and nearly completed by William Behnes for the Dublin Society. On his falling into financial difficulties the statue was obtained from his assignees and arrived in Dublin in 1846. Panormo was commissioned to finish it. His work consists chiefly of one hand and arm and the decorations, orders, etc.

St. Paul; statue over the centre of the portico of St. Paul's church, Arran Quay. The model was in R.H.A., 1838. The statue was probably actually executed in stone by J. R. Kirk, who did the two other statues of St. Peter and St. Patrick.

Mercury; statue, R.H.A., 1842. Plaster, in National Museum, Kildare Street.

David throwing the Sling at Goliath. R.H.A., 1843.

Euranthea clipping the wings of Love. R.H.A., 1843.

The Rescue; marble group. R.H.A., 1843. Purchased by the Royal Irish Art Union for £80 in 1843, and won as a prize by Miss Reddan, Clare Street, Limerick. The model was awarded a prize of £5 by the Art Union in 1842, and was described in the Report as "one of the most classically conceived and ably executed groups for some time exhibited in this country." It was in the Dublin Exhibition of 1853.

Ulysses and his Dog. R.H.A., 1844.

The Pet Rabbit. R.H.A., 1846.

The Pet Dove. Dublin Exhibition, 1853.

Robert Ball; bust. R.H.A., 1837.

Andrew Carmichael; bust. R.H.A., 1849.

Sir Barry Close; bust. R.H.A., 1838.

Isaac D'Olier; bust. R.H.A., 1843.

Mrs. Fitzsimon; 1838.

W. Deane Freeman; bust. R.H.A., 1838; Dublin Ex., 1853.

Sir Edward Stanley; bust. R.H.A., 1842. [National Gallery of Ireland.]

« William Palmer | Contents and Search | Isaac Parkes »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook