SCALÉ, BERNARD

(fl. 1756-1780.)

Topographical Draughtsman

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

Was brother-in-law and pupil of John Rocque, whom he assisted in the surveys for the Maps of Dublin City and its environs published in 1756. He practised as a land surveyor in Abbey Street, and issued a number of maps and some views of Dublin buildings. In 1762 he was joined in partnership with William Richards, and some years after the latter's death in 1766, he took into his business in 1774, Browning and Sherrard, "young gentlemen of established good character, who served their apprenticeship to him" ("Freeman's Journal," 12-14th April, 1774). Scalé exhibited drawings at the Society of Artists in William Street in 1766, 1767 and 1770. In 1767 he published a series of five engravings of the Parliament House after drawings by Rowland Omer (q.v.), which he dedicated to "The Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and to the Right Honble. the Members of the House of Commons." In one of the prints he describes himself as "Land Surveyor, Hydrographer and Valuer of Estates in Lower Abbey Street, Dublin." Soon after 1770 Scalé went to London, though he still kept on his business in Dublin, and in 1772 exhibited, from 11 Watling Street, a "Drawing of Carton" at the Society of Artists. In 1775 he sent two drawings to the Free Society, "The Phoenix Park" and "Carton Park." His address was then "Mangroves, near Brentwood, and Lower Abbey Street, Dublin." In 1777 he had three drawings at the "Exhibition, or Grand Museum of Arts and Sciences" at the Royal Exchange, Strand: "Bessborough," "Dundalk, the seat of the Earl of Clanbrassil," and "Tollymore Park." His name does not occur after 1780.

Views engraved from his drawings are:

A Plan of Trinity College, Park, Gardens, etc., with the Elevation of the West Front of the College and the West Front of the Provost's House, 1761.

Plan of the Lying-in Hospital and New Gardens, Dublin, 1764. This has, besides the plan, an Elevation of the Hospital and an ornamental Dedication to the Countess of Northumberland. Engraved by P. Halpin and published in 1764 by Scalé and Richards. Size 15 ¼ by 20 inches.

Ground Plan and Elevation of Trinity College, the Provost's House, etc. Published by Thomas Walker at Cicero's Head in Dame Street, 1774.

Among his numerous published Maps are:

"A Curious Map of Ireland for a Watch-case," 1762, price 6 ½ d.

Map of the Coast between Wicklow Head and Skerries; published by Scalé and Richards, and subscribed for by the Dublin Society, 1764-5.

Plan of the City and Environs of Waterford, 1764.

Rocque's large and small Maps of Dublin, re-engraved with additions, 1773.

The Hibernian Atlas, or General Description of the Kingdom of Ireland; 4to, London, 1776. Contains 37 Maps.

« John Savage | Contents and Search | Robert Richard Scanlan »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook